Apply for our PhD Program
Important notice regarding General and Physics GRE policy for the 2023-2024 application cycle
For graduate admission in the 2023-2024 application cycle with expected enrollment in the Fall of 2023, both the General GRE and Physics GRE scores are OPTIONAL rather than required.
Further, the UChicago Physics Admissions Committee will take into account the significant disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic when reviewing student portfolios, including transcripts and other materials. We understand that in many cases alternate grading schemes (i.e., Pass/Fail) were used during the pandemic, and this will be taken into account in the admissions process. We also understand that the impact of the pandemic is not felt equally by all students, and will depend on each student’s individual experiences.
- Applications are open mid-late September through December 15.
- Please complete your application and submit it online at the following URL: https://apply-psd.uchicago.edu/apply/. When you create your application account, you will be able to access the Physics Department’s admission requirements and related information.
- The Department of Physics is accepting as optional the General GRE or Physics GRE scores for applications for graduate admission in the 2023-2024 application cycle.
- All our graduate students begin in the autumn quarter; there are no mid-year admissions.
- All admitted graduate students are appointed as teaching or research assistants, with full financial aid (full tuition and a stipend). The Department also awards a few special fellowships.
- Please indicate your area(s) of research interest using the “Physics Supplement” page. Please see this page for more info on the Research areas in the Department.
- Non-refundable graduate application fee of $90 or a fee waiver request (available within the application). To determine whether you are eligible for a fee waiver, please consult this information.
- A bachelor’s degree with a major or minor in any physical science or engineering is strongly recommended
- Applicants who do not meet the waiver criteria here must submit proof of English language proficiency. Only the TOEFL iBT or IELTS Academic tests are accepted as proof of proficiency. The program requires a minimum TOEFL score of 90 overall, and a minimum IELTS score of 7.0 overall.
- For the TOEFL, our institution code is 1832 and the department code is 72.
- Please visit the UChicagoGRAD website for more about proof of English language proficiency.
Please direct questions about the graduate program to Dr. Zosia Krusberg, Director of Graduate Studies. For practical questions about the application, please contact Graduate Admissions, email@example.com.