2022 Virtual Open House Schedule
Due to COVID restrictions, in agreement with the University guidelines, the 2022 Physics Department Graduate Student Open House will have a Virtual format, with a combination of Zoom and gather.town sessions held on March 3, 4 and 5.
Thursday, March 3
During Day 1 prospective students will have the opportunity to attend one of our weekly Physics Department Colloquia. The speaker of today, Ritchie Patterson, completed her doctorate in Physics at The University of Chicago in 1990 and she is now Professor at Cornell University.
At the end of the colloquium, students will have the opportunity to interact with Prof. Patterson and ask her questions about the seminar as well as her experience as graduate student in our Department.
- 3:30pm – 4:30pm CST: Virtual Physics Colloquium
- Speaker: Prof. Ritchie Patterson
- Title: Better beams for science and society
- Zoom link will be emailed to students.
Friday, March 4
During Day 2 the prospective students will be introduced to our program. They will be presented our research activities and they will speak with faculty members (based on the provided desiderata). When possible, meetings will be one-on-one. When this is not possible up to three students might be accommodated in the same slot to satisfy potential concurring requests.
Throughout the day we will hold a gather.town session for you to meet with our current graduate students during your free slots and during the dedicated Social Hour.
- 9:30am – 10:00am CST: Welcome and Introduction by Physics Chair Young-Kee Kim
- 10:00am – 10:15am CST: Welcome by Director of Graduate Studies Zosia Krusberg
- 10:15am – 10:45am CST: Six Concurrent Research Overviews:
- Particle Physics Experiment, Dark Matter, and Accelerator Physics
- Hard Condensed Matter Theory
- Particle Theory and General Relativity
- Soft Matter Physics and Biophysics
- AMO, Hard Condensed Matter Exp. and Quantum Physics
- Astro Particle Physics and Cosmology
- 10:45am – 11:00am CST: Break
- 11:00am – 1:00pm CST: one-on-one faculty meetings (30 minute each) / graduate student meetings
- 1:00pm – 1:30pm CST: Break
- 1:30pm – 4:00pm CST: one-on-one faculty meetings (30 minute each) / graduate student meetings
- 4:00pm – 4:30pm CST: Final Remarks by Physics Chair Young-Kee Kim
- 4:30pm – 5:30pm CST: gather.town Social Hour
Saturday, March 5
Day 3 is devoted to make prospective students familiar with our student associations and initiatives. The Department of Physics is committed to creating a positive, respectful environment of shared inquiry and learning for all members of our community. We concur with the President and Provost’s statement on diversity (Feb 2020), which emphasizes that “we must be an intellectual community where all scholars feel welcome, heard, and encouraged to do their best work.”
- 9:00am – 10:00am CST: Grad Influences Mentoring Program
- 10:00am – 11:00am CST: GRIT – The Graduate Recruitment Initiative Team
- 11:00am – 12:00pm CST: LGBTQIA+ Physicists Group
- 12:00pm – 1:00pm CST: UChicago Physics Working Group on Anti-Racism
- 1:00pm – 2:00pm CST: WAGMiP – Women and Gender Minorities in Physics